Student Employment Information
Appalachian State University: Child Development Center, Teacher's Aide
Thank you for your interest in working at the Appalachian Child Development Center and making a difference in the lives of children. At our first meeting you will receive the application packet with ALL the forms that need to be completed before you begin work. If you have any questions, please call me. I look forward to meeting you and working with you.
Before you begin work, you need to have the complete employment packet turned in , which includes your medical statement, TB test results, DHHS Qualifying letter (clear background check) and work approval from Student Employment at the JET. Your first 6 weeks of employment include 16 hours of Orientation Training where you will observe in EACH classroom for a period of time and attend mandatory staff meetings to review the policies and procedures of the ASU Child Development Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the lead teacher in the care and supervision of young children. Meeting the children’s developmental needs (integrating the activities posted on a written plan designed to stimulate the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development of children).
- Communicating with parents and co-workers is essential in the quality operation of the ASU~CDC. Communication between staff and parents contributes to the overall well-being and development of the child, as well as current information regarding operation and management of the Center.
- Assists the lead teacher in all areas of a daily routine; as well as incorporating their time and talents into our child care environment.
- Giving undivided attention, love, and provision of a safe, healthy environment.
- Assists in light housekeeping and outdoor safety measures.
- Aide must be on time and consistent in assigned hours.
- Aide must have on file: application, medical report (renewed annually with a TB test), emergency medical information, criminal background check/fingerprints (costs approximately $40 to complete and requires 1-6 weeks to process), confidentiality pledge, orientation documentation, staff development plan, evaluation form, and copy of current ASU transcript on file.
If you are interested in applying to work at the ASU Child Development Center please send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain an application and schedule of availability. Interviews will be set up after reviewing your information and offers will be extended to those students who most closely meet the needs of the center. Please only apply if you are seriously interested in working at the Child Development Center! I am happy to answer any questions you may have. We are only able to provide child care services to the families of ASU through a dedicated team of student workers!
Sincerely ~ Ellyn Burke, Director